Monday, January 22, 2007

Life Together - Introduction & Introductions

We had a good group this past Thursday. Thanks to all those who came out. Though this meeting was primarily introductory, I can already tell that God's brought together an interesting group that will make for some lively discussion.

Hopefully you've picked up the book by now and are into Chapter One. I don't know about you, but Bonhoeffer definitely pushes me out of my comfort zone and makes me think about my presuppositions. I pray that God will challenge us each through this study and grow us together as a Body.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer himself is a fascinating guy. We'll watch a movie about his life after we've read the book, but do a little online search for him when you have a moment. He life is inspiring, though you'll run across some who view him as a mixed bag because, though he defended the Jews and opposed the Nazis, he still believed that Jews needed to believe in Jesus as the Christ, the Messiah, to be saved. Interesting...sadly, as I was reading some more about him, I was reminded of the shameful way many in the church fell in with the Nazis. Many, I suspect, did not do so out of active hatred of Jews or national pride but were simply cowardly or apathetic. They took the easy way out.

May we be stirred to boldness in our faith.

No comments: