Monday, March 26, 2007

A Tangent: Wild at Heart and Captivating

As we wait to begin the new book for the Dead Theologians Society, I offer a tangent.

Some women at the church recently studied the book Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. I've read Eldredge's Wild at Heart, as have many men at New Life, and have just been watching the DVD series.

Initially, I found Wild at Heart to be thought-provoking and challenging. A little overloaded with manly-man stuff at times but worthwhile. If nothing else, it motivated many men to "Do something!" and not be satisfied with a mundane life. But the more I've thought about Wild at Heart and impressions I've gotten of the companion volume, Captivating, the more I think the Eldredges have missed the mark in several areas.

An article in Christianity Today, What Women (Don't) Want, challenges some of the suppositions in Captivating. I found myself nodding throughout, but I'd be curious to hear thoughts on either Captivating or Wild at Heart. Have these works rung true to you? Do you think they square with a real biblical model for men and women?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while, but I've read all of Eldridge's books except for 'Captivating'. (I especially love 'Epic', with all of its pop culture references.)

Even though I'm a woman, I adored 'Wild at Heart' because it appealed to my desire for adventure. I figured 'Captivating' would be more geared toward married women, so I passed on it.

Nate said...

I think he/they are best when grappling with our woundedness. That is very poignant. I think whether or not people deal with those wounds goes a long way in determining how fully we embrace the people God made us to be. But I think their notions of maleness and femaleness can be pretty far off base at times.

My dad gets credit for pointing this out, but there's one scene in the "Wild at Heart" video that bugs us both. These guys are out shooting clay pigeons (which I enjoy doing) and they put their cell phones on the launcher and blow them to smithereens. I think one of the guys even does a "Braveheart"-style cry of "Freedom!" I don't like talking on the phone in general and wouldn't mind being free of it, but it's a tool. And, if you're embracing your real manly role as protector, you had better keep that cell phone on you, keep it charged and be ready to use it to summon help for your emergency or others, etc. There's too much emphasis on breaking free from your cubicle, 9-5 job, etc. and not enough on bearing your cross, being responsible and those sorts of things, I think.

As for the women's roles, I just know too many women who've been gifted far beyond the narrow confines that seem to be prescribed by the Eldredges and would hate to see any of them question their feminity because they're ambitious or because they don't subscribe to a superficial definition of feminine beauty.

Lots of good in these books, just necessary to read it all with a good filter, I guess. I'm sure that you do.

Anonymous said...

"Wild at Heart" is one of my favortie inspirational books to read. It really touches my soul & desires. BUT...Since I first read the book over 4 years ago I have had one, and only one question to ask John Eldredge (or anyone else). How do reconcile living "Wild at Heart" with "The Narrow Path" our Lord calls us to?A path that can lead to persecution & even death? As Christians we come to realize that unfortuantely we have very little control of our lives, destiny & future. Amazingly, our Lord warns us of the potential cost of following him before we do so. Is a martyr's life & value & worth deminished because he did not live "Wild at Heart" & fulfill his dreams, passions & hope? Is a Christian layman's life in a third world country in vain? Western interpretation of Christianity is very different than the Eastern world's interpretation of Chrisitanity.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is Michael Atto-Thanks Nate 4/3/07